Sunday, February 9, 2014

Standard System of Testing


As I was thinking about what I should blog about this week, I decided to talk about a major topic in my life: Standardized Testing. I feel like as a junior it's an obligation to be preparing for the ACT. Many students study for the ACTs in order to better their chances of getting into different colleges, but I think there's always an undeniable sense of worry that students have while taking the test. 

Students put all their hope in a number that, some people believe, proves our intelligence to schools. Apart from the stress students put on themselves, there is always pressure to study for SAT, ACT, and other standardized tests. They are generally emphasized by schools, parents, and the peers around us because of the requirements that colleges have regarding the tests. Although standardized tests are a common part of American culture, many have gone against and questioned the fairness of it. 

There are many different articles about the pros and cons of standardized testing, but I chose this one to look at. I picked this article, written by procon.org, because of the #2 pro and con of the article. Both completely contradict each other; one says that "Standardized tests are reliable and objective measures of student achievement", while the other says that "Standardized tests are an unreliable measure of student performance." 

So what's your opinions on standardized testing? What does this system (standardized testing) say about America?

No comments:

Post a Comment