Thursday, April 3, 2014

Introducing My Junior Theme

As I was brainstorming topics for my Junior Theme, I started forming my opinions and identifying my interests on topics in American History. The process has gotten me to look at American History from my own perspective. 

 After we research about current events in America, we hone in on one specific topic and formulate a question about it. Our question is not supposed to have a discrete answer, nor should we think we know the answer. Then, we try to reply to that question with reasons we’ve gathered from our research. We look at how certain aspects of our topic differ in the present and in the past. Because there is not one correct answer, we use our interpretation of facts and data to answer history. In a sense, we are taking a page of history and adding our own notes onto that page.

I've decided to question the current issue of college debt: Why is college student debt increasing? I think this topic grabbed my attention because, as a junior, I'm naturally thinking about college and all the stressful factors that come with it i.e. money, planning, etc... You can check on my blog every week for an update on how my Junior Theme is going. I'll be talking about my progress as well as relating my findings to different themes in American History. If you're interested in familiarizing yourself with present day controversial topics, check out www.procon.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment