Monday, April 28, 2014

Networking Through Junior Theme

This week I was thinking about who I was going to interview for my Junior Theme. A requirement for our essay is to incorporate quotes from an interview with a scholar who knows our topic or a certain aspect of our topic very well. Because my Junior Theme is related to financial aid and loans, I decided to email financial aid departments from four different colleges: Northwestern University, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, DePaul University, and Loyola University. 

After sending out emails to the colleges requesting for a short interview with people in the financial aid departments, I waited a couple of days for replies. I was rejected by DePaul because they were too busy, and none of the other schools replied. I then decided to ask my own school's college counselor offices for any referrals. I asked a college counselor who immediately called up the head of the financial aid department from Northwestern who he happened to have good relations with. She said yes to the interview without hesitation, and I realized how valuable professional networking is. 

Merriam Webster defines networking as "the exchange of information or services among individuals, groups, or institutions; specificallythe cultivation of productive relationships for employment or business." "Exchange" is a key word because the "relationships" that you make are meant to be personal with the benefits of receiving something but also returning the favorBeing able to network is a vital skill that people need not only for work but for life. Having work and personal connections are very beneficial because you have resources to refer to about topics you may not be familiar with or who can refer you to their personal connections. 

As I am continuing to write my Junior Theme, I will continue to use connections, like teachers, peers, etc..., around me to find information or fresh aspects of my topic. How do you guys network in everyday life? How have personal connections helped you?

No comments:

Post a Comment